Home Posts Six Months After The Deadly Capitol Riot, The Suspect In The Pipe Bomb Remains At Large.
Six Months After The Deadly Capitol Riot, The Suspect In The Pipe Bomb Remains At Large.
Capitol Riot

Six Months After The Deadly Capitol Riot, The Suspect In The Pipe Bomb Remains At Large.

Federal authorities have made hundreds of arrests in the nearly six months since a riotous mob descended on the U.S. Capitol with the intention of overturning a free and fair presidential election, but one arrest remains elusive half a year later: the person who planted pipe bombs around Washington, D.C., the night before the attack.

An unidentified person wearing a backpack and a gray hooded sweatshirt placed two pipe bombs near the Democratic National Committee headquarters and behind the Republican National Committee headquarters on the evening of Jan. 5.

The next day, after then-President Donald Trump told his supporters to “fight like hell” and the president’s personal attorney — who had recently been suspended from practicing law — Rudy Giuliani said there might have to be a “trial by combat,” thousands of Trump supporters marched to the Capitol, where hundreds broke into the building, attacking law enforcement officers — whom many rioters had claimed to have supped.

If the goal was to overturn the election, Trump's mob ultimately failed, and hundreds are suffering as a result. In the six months since the attack, the FBI has arrested 500 people involved, with the help of the public. Of those 500, 100 people have been arrested for assaulting federal law enforcement officers. However, hundreds more identified by the FBI remain at large, as do a number of other individuals.

D.C. Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee stated during a House Oversight Committee hearing in May that the suspect was still at large.

“No one has been apprehended, and the investigation is ongoing,” Contee stated.

The FBI released surveillance video of a person carrying a backpack and wearing a COVID-19 face mask and a gray hooded sweatshirt, as well as a pair of black and light gray Nike Air Max Speed Turf shoes with a yellow logo.

During his testimony in May, Capitol Police Inspector General Michael Bolton stated that when the pipe bombs were discovered the morning of Jan. 6, three teams were dispatched to investigate the threat, leaving only one team in charge of protecting the Capitol.

“If those pipe bombs were meant to be a distraction, they worked,” said Bolton.

The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the identification of the pipe bomb suspect, and they are asking people to call the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit tips online at tips.fbi.gov, which can be done anonymously.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published, Required fields are marked with *.