, a former child
star, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to crimes involving an underage girl who attended a concert in Cleveland
when she was 15 in December 2017.
According to The Associated Press
, Jared “Drake” Bell, 34, the former star of Nickelodeon
’s “Drake & Josh
,” which aired from 2004 to 2007, pleaded guilty via Zoom
to felony attempted child endangerment and a misdemeanor charge of disseminating matter harmful to juveniles.
Bell initially pleaded not guilty, but his attorney, Ian Friedman, said on Wednesday that it will be revealed at sentencing "why Mr. Bell chose to enter today's plea."
According to WTRF.com, Judge
Timothy McCormick told the actor, "Pleading guilty is an admission that you did commit these crimes."
Tyler Sinclair, a spokesperson for Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O'Malley, stated earlier this month that the victim filed a complaint with Canadian police
in October 2018, after which investigators contacted Cleveland police, who began an investigation
into the case.
According to Cleveland Fox affiliate WJW, investigators believe Bell and the young fan "developed a relationship" prior to the concert, and that he sent her inappropriate social media
According to the prosecutor's office, Bell breached his duty of care and "created a risk of harm to the victim as a result."
Bell has been free on $2,500 personal bond since his arraignment on June 3, but his sentence is set for July 12. His accuser is expected to provide a statement at that time.
Before embarking on a singing career, Bell rose to prominence as a teen on Nickelodeon's "The Amanda Show" and later "Drake & Josh."